Obesity is a term used to describe somebody who is overweight with a high degree of body fat. Being a little overweight may not cause many noticeable problems, but once you are carrying a few extra kilograms, you may develop symptoms that affect your daily life.
There are many reasons why some people have difficulty avoiding obesity. Usually, obesity results from a combination of inherited factors, combined with the environment and personal lifestyle.
Factors responsible for Obesity
- Increased intake of energy-dense foods that are high in fat, carbohydrates
- Overeating and Irregular food habits
- Lack of Physical activities due to sedentary lifestyle.
- Genetics, endocrine disorders, medical Reasons or psychiatric illness
- Day – time sleeping
- Breathlessness even on little exertion / physical activity
- Lack of interest in doing work
- Profuse sweating with foul body odour
- Excessive hunger
- Feeling of tiredness
- Excessive sleep
In Ayurveda, sthaulya (Obesity) is described as excessive accumulation of Meda (fat/adipose tissue) and Mamsa (flesh/muscle tissue). It is considered as one of Santarpanottha Vikaras (disease due to consumption of excessive calories) – Obesity is due to increase of agni leading to increase of appetite and food intake. Increase in meda dhatu and increase of kapha dosha and imbalance in vata dosha is main cause of obesity.
Unhealthy diet results in building up of adipose tissue in the body resulting in weight gain and obesity. Physical activity lessens the energy imbalance between calories consumed on one hand, calories expended on the other hand resulting in weight gain and obesity. Hence intake of healthy diet comprising of sufficient fibre, adopting active lifestyle and practicing Yoga and Meditation to manage stress and fatigue are highly recommended for the prevention of Obesity. Lifestyle modifications will also assist in managing obesity.
With support of herbs and Shamana (Palliative) treatment:
- Langhan (Fasting)
- Ama pachan (oral use of digestives to augment the fat metabolism)
- Diet Plan
- Physical exercises, mental work is also recommended
- Samshodhana Chikitsa (Purificatory procedures)
- Virechan (Therapeutic purgation)
- Lekhan vasti (Medicated enema) are advised for the management of Sthaulya
Customise Detox Plan
Ayurveda Bliss Therapeutic Program
Contact us to know more about the Ayurvedic approach for Obesity and weight reduction.